- God wants us to know about our spiritual gifts so we can grow.
- When we serve others, we are fulfilled.
- When we grow in our faith, others grow too.
- When others grow, God's Kingdom grows.
Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to SERVE others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. —1 Peter 4:10
What Are Spiritual Gifts?
A spiritual gift is simply a special talent or ability that God has given you. There are many spiritual gifts, and although the list varies depending on how one interprets scripture, all of them are useful for serving others to help further God's Kingdom.
What are YOUR Spiritual Gifts? At Hanfield, we believe that everyone has at least one spiritual gift, and many have 2, 3, or even more. Do you know what yours are? If not, there are a few ways to find out: Pick up a Spiritual Gifts Inventory at the Welcome Center on Sunday morning at Hanfield, or take an online test (try this one at SpiritualGiftsTest.com). Once you find out what your spiritual gifts are, start looking for service opportunities at Hanfield that match your gifts.
Want to Work with Kids or Youth?
Our conference mandated its churches to have in place a screening process for all persons who work with children and youth. This process not only protects the children and youth, but staff and volunteers as well.
Each person who desires involvement with our youth and children must:
- Attend Hanfield regularly for three months before beginning work with children or youth.
- Fill out a Screening Form for Work with Minors and a criminal history release form (only the top part, down to the "Reason for Search" section). In order to keep the information you share confidential, please leave completed forms in the locked dropbox by the church office door.
- Provide 3 personal references (for staff/interns, 5 personal references, including one from each church attended within the past 5 years).
- Attend a mandatory safety training session. These sessions include information about what to do should a child or youth report that he/she has been abused or molested. Please bring a picture identification (i.e., driver's license) with you to this training. Sessions for 2015: Jan 11, Feb 8, Mar 8, Apr 12, May 3, Jun 7, Jul 12, Aug 2, Sep 13, Oct 4, Nov 1, Dec 6.
Screening forms and reference & crminial history checks are kept strictly confidential. They are reviewed only by the Safety Team or the Campus Pastor and are kept in a locked area.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact any member of the Safety Team listed below.
- Jeanette Hoeksema: 662.9784
- Barb Bragg: 662.9155
- Tim Chambers: 618.2131
- Chuck Vernon: 669.2355
- Beth Fisher: 603.7284
- Debbie DeLong: 934.2724
- Shannon Shilts: 664.8726 x120
- Erin Hooten: 669.0586
- Shirley Saddler: 506.0230
Opportunities to Serve
There are many opportunities for you to use your spiritual gifts to serve at Hanfield. The following is a vrey brief list. For more information about the opportunities, contact the staff person that oversees the are you are interested in:
Tim Helm (email@example.com)
Guest Center, Ushers & Greeters, Welcome Center, Serve On Saturday, Mowing Team, Sunday Morning Coffee Team, Congregational Nurses, Food Pantry, Global Missions Team, Local Outreach Team, Funeral Dinners, ABF Teachers, Bible Study Leader, Prayer Ministry, Small Groups, Faith Builder & Curriculum Writing Team, Special Events Team, Short Team Ministries, United Methodist Women.
AJ Berning (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Vocalists & Instrumentalists, Special Music, Actors, Sound Board Technician, Stage Prep Artists.
Tim Lehrian (email@example.com)
Media Team, Videographers & Photographers, Writers/Editors, Graphc Design, Web Team.
Erin Hooten (firstname.lastname@example.org)
There are many ways to plug in with the iLuminate Youth ministry with Erin. Contact her to find out where you can serve.
Shirley Saddler (email@example.com)
Nursery Care, Nursery Cleaning, Preschool Teacher/Storyteller, Preschool Craft Prep, K-4 Teacher or Substitute, Club 56 Leaders, Club 56 Refreshments, Club 56 Special Events, Large Group Teacher, Room Decor, Worship Leader, Check-In Desk, Kids Hope USA Mentor, Kids Hope USA Prayer Partner, Summer Camp Counselor, Summer Camp Transportation, Easter Egg Hunt, VBS (MANY opportunities), Pool Party, Christmas Program.
Next Step: Going "All In" for Service
- Find out what your spiritual gifts are.
- Find an opportunity that matches your spiritual gifts and contact the staff person over that area to start serving.